I nabbed this post off of my husband’s facebook page, as he says it so well.
So as I mentioned the other day we came across a deal that was to good to pass up, ten young hens and a pair of young Royal Palm turkeys for $65. So we had to jump on it! The problem was the price was all I had in available cash and as you may know you can’t just dump new poultry with your existing flock, you must have a quarantine coop and run and of course I have not set that up yet. To get the deal we had to pick up the birds today as the person we got them from is moving today and could not take them with her.
So Tuesday, Gage and I ran into town and loaded as many free pallets as we could fit in the van and trailer. Sadly, by the time I got home and ready to work I only had about an hours worth of daylight and didn’t get much done. So today, Jamie and I got right on the job this morning in hopes to complete the job before the lady called and said we HAD to come NOW, sadly, we did not. Luckily we have a couple of large cages made for large dogs that we were able to transport and keep them in while we finished the coop. Then it started raining…dabnabit!
We went and picked up the birds and went back home and jumped right back on the project. We mostly completed the coop…at least got it secure enough to put the birds in tonight just as it was getting dark (I sure miss summer daylight hours!). We had to tarp the roof until we can get some metal to finish it off and tomorrow we will fence in the new run area. Here’s some pics of what we did today. I’m so lucky I have such a great partner like Jamie, today would have been a pure failure for me without her.
Now, we just have to put sheet metal on the roof to finish it, and a few more final touches to the run. Eventually we want to enclose the run like we did to the other coop, and then create a bigger pen for them to come out into during the day. I had to clip the turkey’s wings today too as the male tried to fly out, lol!