2014-01-02 This morning is 14 degrees out, with a windchill of 4 degrees…. winter wonderland
2013-12-24 : Pulled off the barrel, raised up the heat riser by 2 rows of bricks and redid the ashpit/manifold where the gasses exit the barrel and enter the duct work. Before the way we had it, the gasses had to make a 90 degree turn before entering the ductwork, we think that contributed to annoying smoke-back, and the heater not being as rockety as we wanted.
2013-12-24 : Here is another shot showing the ashpit/manifold
2013-12-24 : Again, the ashpit/manifold
2013-12-24 : We also re-arranged the ductwork, took out about 5-10′ of pipe, and a few elbows, lessening the drag and helping the heaters draft.
2013-12-24 : Here it is, all redone and working AWESOME! Now to finish up cobbing the couch/bench over the ductwork and beautification.
2013-12-24 : feeding the fire
2013-12-28 : Getting the ducts ready for their cob cover
2013-12-28 : Our helper Gage applying some “clay slip” to the ductwork to give the cob more to stick too.
2013-12-28 : Cute lil fella
2013-12-28 : Daddy and Son working together
2013-12-28 : Here is the ducts getting covered in cob
2013-12-28 : Our Marlee playing in the clay
2013-12-28 : Making more cob
2013-12-28 : Getting ready to mix up a new batch, first, clay…
2013-12-28 : More clay
2013-12-28 : Here we go, right before adding our next ingredient….
2013-12-28 : Our little cobbing girl, she loves to help
2013-12-28 : Adding next ingredient for cob, sand!
2013-12-28 : …. lots of sand
2013-12-28 : now to mix
2013-12-28 : a bit of water to make the clay all sticky
2013-12-28 : mix, mix, mix
2013-12-28 : there, batch ready!
2013-12-28 : Marlee loves playing with the cob
2013-12-28 : Ducts after the 2nd batch
2013-12-28 : After the 3rd batch
2013-12-28 : Starting the 4th
2013-12-28 : getting close to having all the ducts covered in the first layer of cob.
2013-12-28 : WOOHOO! Covered the ducts! Now to let this dry before applying the next layer 🙂
2013-12-28 : View from the juicebox.
2013-12-28 : burning beautifully.
2014-01-02 : after a few days of drying
2014-01-02 : Here it is after a couple days of drying, we’ve been burning in the stove keeping the house cozy warm, and it’s drying out the cob so fast that it’s causing it to crack in places. No worries, totally fixable 🙂
So after our last post we found that our RMH needed an overhaul. Too much smoke-back, it seemed to be choking, the pull of the draft was weak, so we went back to the drawing board… actually we just pulled off the barrel, put on a couple more layers of brick to the heat riser, insulated it, then tore down the ash-pit/manifold where the barrel releases the gasses into the duct work to make the transition smoother. The way we had it, the gasses had to make a 90º turn, than another sharp turn into the ducts. So we fixed these two things and sealed it all back up, and fired it up at nearly midnight on 2013-12-28, we were so very pleased with the results! Then yesterday we made some changes to the duct work outside where the exhaust/smoke comes out of the enclosure. We eventually want to build a little room around where the ductwork comes out of the enclosure and make a little “seedling” room and use the heat to nurture plants, while also protecting the end of the exhaust from wind blow back. Well, so we don’t have to worry about building the seedling room till closer to spring we redirected the duct work strait up and put a chimney cap on it. This made the system run even better doing it this way, so we just might leave it. We’ll see 🙂