This is my super simple, family approved homemade horse chow! Let yourself be inspired! This is delicious, nutritious and so customizable! You can make this simple recipe, or add in all kinds of yummies, from chocolate, dehydrated fruit and any nut or seed that you can think of! Have fun, be creative, Nourish Deeply!
Simple Granola Bars / Cereal / Horse Chow
(the perfect substitute for all those boxed cereals)
Serves: makes 3 lbs
- 3½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw ground chunks of almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon refined coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon unsulphered molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Also need – parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry oats, almonds, & cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the butter and coconut oil till melted together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Once the butter melts stir in the honey, vanilla and salt.
- Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes.
- The granola will become crisp as it cools at which point you can break it up into small chunks by pounding it in a zip lock bag.
- Store in air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.